There is mold everywhere – in your home, at your workplace environment, a trace on your clothing – they’re literally everywhere; as long as there are moisture and oxygen in an area, you’d be sure to find mold.

The presence of mold in your home can be unsightly and smelly; ruining your furniture, clothing, wall drapers, and paint. It affects the structural integrity of buildings and the health of those inside adversely.

So, the question right now is not whether it has adverse effects, but rather how to prevent, manage, and or eliminate them.

Is UV light effective in killing mold?

There’re several effective methods to eradicate colonies of mold from your home; one of such proven trick is the use of Ultraviolet light. When its exposed to the UV light for a considerable length of time; it breaks up the DNA, making them sterile and eventually die off. However, unless the mold is isolated or concentrated in a small area, like on bathroom grout on which you can come with a UV sanitizing wand, you’ll have bigger chances killing mold with a Jedi lightsaber rather than UV light. Anyway, before going into details on how to use the UV light, let’s first examine the health risks associated with exposure to and breathing in mold spores. Different individuals react differently when exposed to spores; some of the reasons for these reactions are due to; their sensitivity to the spores, whether they are allergic to molds, and also depending on how strong their immune system is. Some of the symptoms often associated with exposure to it include:

  • Nasal and sinus congestion
  • Sore throat/cough
  • Breathing difficulty
  • Asthma / increased bouts of the crisis
  • Chest tightness
  • Nose bleeding
  • Respiratory tract infection
  • Bouts of Headache
  • Eye and skin irritation

The groups of individuals most susceptible to the assault of this menace include:

  • Infants and young children
  • Elderly people
  • Individuals with allergies such as asthma
  • Weaken immune patients.

Preventive measures to control the spread of molds

  • Keep the moisture level as low as you can – They thrive in an environment with an elevated humidity level. Hence, a precautionary measure to ensure that your home or workplace is unsuitable for molds is by making sure the humidity level is below 50 percent.

Fortunately, it’s easier to keep track of the humidity level in an environment using air conditioners, air purifiers and/or dehumidifier. However, bear in mind that the air-water content varies during the day, due to changes in temperature, so be sure to monitor the humidity level.

  • Keep the area well-ventilated – Ensure that your home has enough ventilation. Make sure your circulating fan, air conditioner, and clothe dryer vent outside.
  • Promptly fix a leaky roof, plumbing or walls, to avoid colonizing to those surfaces.
  • In case your home gets flooded, clean out and dry your home within 24 to 48 hours.
  • Use mold repellant paints for your paintwork.
  • Always clean your bathroom and kitchen with molds-killing products.
  • As much as you can, don’t use carpets in rooms where there may be lots of moisture like the bathrooms and basement.
  • Remove or replace furniture or rugs that have been wet and can’t dry out immediately to prevent infesting them.

How do you prevent mold growth in your home?

 

 

 It is found everywhere, both indoors and outdoors. However, there are several ways through which the spores can be introduced into your home such as; through open windows and doorways; through the vents of your heating and air conditioning systems; or even by attaching themselves to your shoes, clothes, pets, bags, and so on.

It’s important to note that they can grow on virtually any organic surface as long as there’s the presence of water and oxygen. Hence you may discover them growing behind the wallpaper, under the carpet, on the paint, your upholstery or even on your curtains.

Thankfully, indoor mold is easier to manage since it’s a lot more feasible to control the moisture level and temperature in the room than outside. So, the key basically is to keep the humidity level down.

Use Ultraviolet Light to Kill Mold

 

 

 Ultraviolet light is an effective method to eradicate the plaque from homes.

What is UV Light? The Ultraviolet light is the part of the electromagnetic spectrum that can’t be seen with the naked eye. Just like the X-ray and infra-red light, it falls within the high energy band.

The UV-C is the active part of the light; it has been shown to kill 99.9 percent of the molds over a one to two hours period.

How does it work?

To eliminate it in your home using UV-C light, here are the steps to take:

  • Identify the surfaces infested with the fungus; keep the UV light source two inches from the molds.
  • Switch off every other light source, close the windows and doors.
  • Leave for about one to two hour.
  • Repeat the procedure on other surfaces until all the fungi have been eliminated.

How UV Light Kills Bacteria

Bacteria are a group of single-celled microorganisms that reproduce through cell division. Among other things, bacteria cause fermentation, diseases, and sepsis. The single cell property of bacteria makes it be destroyed or sterilized by UV light. Since the main form of reproduction in bacteria is through cell division, any alteration in the structure or segment of the cell can influence the cell division process.

Ultraviolet (UV) light is a type of light, invisible to the human eye, that exists on the electromagnetic spectrum between X-beams and visible light and which travels in vacuum with the same speed of light equal to c. We are presented with low levels of UV light from the sun’s beams each day, although the ozone layer consumes a significant part of the UV energy. The UV light has three different bands depending on the wavelength; the UV-A, UV-B and UV-C light spectrums. This spectrum differs in their wavelengths.

Shortwave (UV-C) radiation has a potent germ-killing effect. It causes erythema and ophthalmitis (pink eye). Low-weight mercury release can produce this radiation. The nature and the impacts of this radiation and the application are described in the section below. Ultraviolet radiation with a wavelength shorter than 200nm is called vacuum UV.

The UV-C wavelength range is the germicidal part of the ultraviolet light area of the light spectrum which can deactivate the DNA in viruses and bacteria, successfully taking out the chances of reproduction and in this manner illness(more and more air purifiers are implementing a UV feature for killing or stopping bacteria to multiply inside the devices). All the more granularly, the nucleic acid in the cells of an infection ends up noticeably harmed by the ultraviolet light because of the formation of covalent bonds. When this happens, the bacteria’s DNA can’t duplicate itself; subsequently, it can’t reproduce and in this way dies.

Mutation is a genetic variation in the base grouping of DNA. Ultraviolet (UV) light kills cells by harming their DNA. The light initiates the reaction between two particles of thymine, one of the bases that make up DNA. The subsequent thymine dimer is extremely stable. However repair of this type of DNA damage- more often than not by extracting or removing the two bases and filling in the gaps with new nucleotides – is somewhat possible and effective. All things considered, it breaks down when the harm is extensive.

Ultraviolet (UV) light, applies its mutagenic impact by energizing electrons in particles. The excitation of electrons in DNA particles frequently brings about the formation of additional bonds between adjacent pyrimidine (particularly thymine) in DNA. Whenever two pyrimidines are bound together along these lines, it is known as a pyrimidine dimer. These dimers frequently change the state of the DNA in the cell and can lead to problems during replication. The cell regularly tries to repair pyrimidine dimers before replication. However, the repair mechanism can prompt mutations too.

The more the exposure to UV light, the more thymine dimers are formed in the DNA and the more prominent the danger of an off base repair or a “missed” dimer. On the off chance that cellular procedures are disrupted on account of an erroneous repair or remaining damage, the cell can’t complete its normal functions. Now, there is two likely outcomes, contingent upon the degree and area of the harm. If the harm is not very extensive, dangerous or precancerous cells are created from healthy cells. If it is far-reaching, the cell will die.

UV Light Performance

At the point when compared with other techniques for disinfecting bacteria UV light is much better as shown below:

  • UV purification is a chemical-free process and doesn’t leave any residue behind.
  • UV requires no transportation and storage or handling of harmful or corrosive chemicals.
  • No-touch automated sterilization and eliminates human mistakes in the cleansing process.
  • Other gadgets require movement or multiple positioning adding to workflow and reducing productivity.
  • Other strategies for bacteria sterilization introduces other chemicals or human mistakes in the cleaning process.

Therefore UV light is intended to kill bacteria in an efficient way. The light Minimizes microbial develop on loop and dry skillet and counteracts it from leading to airborne infections. UV light also improves air flow.