When Covid-19 contaminated aerosols were exposed to a specific UV light dosage, 99.9% of the pathogens were exterminated, as per Columbia University’s Irving Medical Center’s new research.

The scientists, led by Dr. David J. Brenner, published a study tackling the aftermath of probably human-safe UVC rays have against coronavirus.

Based on the result we’ve garnered, extended air disinfection via UVC light following the existing regulatory limit could highly minimize the level of pathogens in the air indoors.

Since it is harmless to utilize in occupied places such as train stations, planes, schools, offices, restaurants, hospitals, basically anywhere people congregate indoors, UV light can be utilized in combination with other efforts, like frequent washing of hands and wearing face mask and shield, to reduce the communication of contaminated pathogens.”

Dr. David J. Brenner

Should this kind of UV light be harmless to humans, it can possibly be another inexpensive way to mitigate the virus.

How can we apply this technology in curving the circulation of Covid-19?

According to Brenner:   Unfortunately, there are cautions and mysteries. For example, to eliminate 99% of the virus, it has to be exposed to UV light for 25 minutes at the minimum. However, eliminating only 90% of the virus will only take 8 minutes—the problem is how to finish off the remaining 10% of the virus.

But how long does this type of UV light need to inactive the virus in a contaminated sneeze? Besides, although the virus can survive on surfaces, an even more alarming pathway is through aerosols.

The interval of the elimination of the virus is just as imperative as the percentage. This is likely good news! It will definitely give us a new edge in reducing the spread of the virus.